Upcoming / recent talks
- 2018 Jul 16, Interview with Kathryn Ryan, Nine to Noon, Radio New Zealand
- 2018 Jun 14, Data is the infrastructure of our future: how do we design for it?, Private roundtable, Wellington, NZ
- 2018 Jun 12, The future of data: what’s in store for society, culture & innovation?, Public talk, Rutherford House, Wellington, NZ
- 2018 Apr 29, Long-term thinking, 2x one hour conversations, Time Unwrapped, Longplayer, Kings Place, London — event postponed
- 2018 Apr 18, Launch of new report: ‘Can government stop losing its mind?‘, Nesta, London, UK
- 2018 Apr 16, Developing the Digital Economy, Commonwealth Business Forum, CHOGM, London, UK
- 2018 Jan 25-26 Judge and speaker for $500K SDG hackathon prize, Future Hack, Davos, Switzerland
- 2017 Dec 01 Closing keynote & fireside conversation, Open innovation in Media, Warsaw, Poland
- 2017 Nov 17 Data and the future of Health & Care: unlocking open innovation, Government Office for Science, London, UK
- 2017 Nov 16 Culture; data; art, Royal College of Art (RCA), London, UK
- 2017 Oct 23-26 Four talks in Seoul, Korea
- Neotopia: Data and Humanity special session: Imagining Data for the Coexistence of Humans and Machines, Art Center Nabi/Ministry of Culture
- How to create value with open data, CODE (formerly Creative Commons Korea)
- Data innovation in Government, National Information Agency
- Data innovation in business and startups, Yonsei University Business School
- 2017 Oct 5 – Cup Club wins Ellen Macarthur Foundation Award, #OurOceans, Malta
- 2017 Oct 4 – Ethical codes for a digital age, Breakout, Shard, London, UK
- 2017 Sep 29 – Impact@web-scale – private launch event, Lyon, France
- 2017 Aug 07 – Organising the memory of Government – DCMS, London, UK
- 2017 July 06 – Acoustic Cosmology – Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) National Astronomy Meeting (NAM)
- 2017 May 25 – Closing the Climate Protection Gap, Oasis, Edelman, London, UK
- 2017 Mar 29 – Social Investment Data – Acumen Impact Circle
- 2017 Feb 24 – The Future of Data – DMA Direct Marketing Association, London, UK
I present at public conferences and private meetings on impact@web-scale; the impact of data and the web on businesses, countries and society; the Data Spectrum and making sense of buzzwords (‘big data’, ‘algorithms’, ‘blockchain’, ‘internet of things’, ‘artificial intelligence’, ‘personal data’, GDPR, PSD2); how culture, innovation and tech collide.
My talks engage audiences around the impact of data and the web: on businesses and governments; on the economy, environment and society; the potential of new business models, government policy, startup innovation, standards and communications. Giving direct, practical examples from my personal experience in developing world-leading initiatives such as the Open Data Institute and the Open Banking Standard.
Audience feedback often highlights being inspired, learning something new, changing the way they perceived an issue, or developing a new idea or innovation that they would like to pursue.
If you would like me to speak at your event, please email email@example.com.
I undertake both paid and unpaid talks and panels: please be clear about your event upfront.
I have been recognised as one of the most influential people in data: winning awards for innovation and expertise, as a member of the Smart London Board, the Ministry of Justice Data, Science and Evidence Board, and as a London Tech Ambassador.
Previous talks (selection)
- Open Government Partnership, G8 meeting, Lancaster House, London, UK
- The future of data, British Embassy, Tokyo, Japan
- Data as culture, Churchill Room, HM Treasury, London, UK
- The open data revolution, World Bank, Washington DC, USA
- Open data, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium
- ‘State of the Nation’, for 8 years and counting, at OpenTech, London
- Open data, Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, Malta
- Open data impact, Secretary’s roundtable: open data for agriculture and nutrition, World Food Prize, Iowa, USA
- Innovation in the Internet of Things and Industrial Internet – The Private Residence of the Ambassador of Finland, UK
- The data revolution (keynote), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Cartagena, Colombia
- Social impact data, Gates Foundation, Washington, USA
- The future of data, Aspen Institute, Aspen, USA – Knight Foundation
- How the Web of Data is Changing Business, Government … and Lives – Verge, San Jose, USA
- Data as Culture, University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- City data infrastructure, Mayor’s Office, GLA, London, UK
- The future of data, Wired conference, London, UK
- Open data infrastructure, OpenUP, Omidyar conference, London, UK
- The future is open data (keynote), Cloud Expo Europe, London, UK
- Open data in Finance – Hatton Garden, London, UK
- Data-driven sports innovation – Science Museum, IMAX London, UK – Sport England
- Business innovation with data – Henley Business School, UK
- The Age of Social Machines – Privacy and Trust in the Era of Big Data Analytics – Web Science Institute, UK
- The Digital Economy – Imperial College London, UK
- Data for everyone, Future Everything, Manchester, UK
- Data for the web of things, IoT Expo, London, UK
- Data for open government, both Conservative and Labour party conferences, UK
- Music and open culture – the future of music business models, Music 4.5, London, UK
this is a small selection from hundreds of presentations, panels and roundtables.
Examples of public talks and interviews
Interview at Strata London 2012 following my talk
TEDxEast 2010: Codifying sustainability. Open environmental data to tackle climate change.
Providing evidence to the UK Government select committee on the impact of ‘big data’
Reuters on the Road: open data, business, universities and government
(thanks to the TEDxNY team for choosing the one still frame where I’m sticking out my tongue)